Flooding risk zones
Romania is frequently affected by floods.
Theoretically, all the major river beds are a flood risk zone.
Flooding natural causes
- increased precipitation mainly because of torrential rains and storms
- the absorption capacity of the land is overwhelmed
- the water flows in the river beds giving birth to torrents
- transport capacity of the minor river bed is overwhelmed
- the water reverse in the major river bed flooding the area
- high torrents are usually the cause of the major river bed flooding
- sudden snow melt generates floods during spring
Anthropogenic causes which amplifies the flooding effects
- the way the houses are built
- the lack of culverts and routing ditches in populated areas
- lack of torrent and creek corrective constructions
- inefficient design for exceptional cases